Bald Eagles at Lakeside Park

Have you ever had one of those days when you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time? Well, that is exactly what happened to me this morning.

It was a misty morning. The pale blue that was barely visible through the mist was a hopeful reminder that the sun might eventually break through the veil. 

I was biking to the lake with my camera safely packed in my backpack and I'd already missed one good photo opportunity of a young Cooper's hawk who had just missed its strike on a squirrel that was bounding across the grass. By the time I'd unpacked my camera the Cooper's hawk was already looking for its next target. I managed a few shots in the poor light before it took off again.

A quick stop off at the bottom of Shoemaker Lake was all the time that I needed to capture the great blue heron as it crossed the width of the lake in a few flaps of its wings. 

And even though the low light produced some really grainy photos, I like the texture it added to the canvas.

The sun then broke through. The juvenile Cooper's hawk had found the best location to preen its feathers.

And I had found the perfect location to hopefully capture the belted kingfishers with a fish. I was looking for photos a little better than what I had previously taken.

I was completely hidden, waiting. 

Two adult night herons were also invisible, camouflaged high up in the branches of their favourite willow tree. The only thing that gave away their presence was the splashing of one of them going to the bathroom. You'll have to trust me on that one, it is very noticeable!

Here is a photo, from a few mornings ago, of the black-crowned night-herons in their willow tree.

As I mentioned at the start of this post, I was in completely the wrong place at the wrong time. The belted kingfishers were not complying with my wish, they were playing tag on the other side of the lake, and then I heard the call of a bird of prey.

Through the leaves of the bush I was hiding in, I made out two large birds of prey. I attempted to lock onto one of the birds with my camera, looking for a clear shot through the leaves, but it was impossible. I had to make my way out into the open, looking into the sun from one side of the lake to the other. 

These are not the best photos, but hopefully, they will give an impression of what I saw.

I had to get closer. I made my way up onto the pathway, then around to the best vantage point at the bottom of the lake. 

Nothing, there was absolutely nothing. I'd missed my chance. The first time that I had ever seen bald eagles at Lakeside Park and I'd missed them.

I stood there looking across at the mallards who had earlier been on the bank side. They were all huddled together in the water. They'd gathered for protection. 

A few minutes passed and the mallards hadn't moved from the water, and for good reason. A bald eagle was still in the area and I was given a second chance. A young bald eagle flew in from my left and circled around Shoemaker Lake, flying closer.

And closer.

Perhaps I was getting all excited about nothing. I'm sure there are locations in Ontario where bald eagles are quite common, but certainly not here in the middle of Kitchener!!

One more bird to add to my list at Lakeside Park!!

After all the talons and sharp beaks, I think it's time for a little cuteness, in the shape of a downy woodpecker. 

For an adult downy woodpecker, the red on the top of its head would be unusual, but not for a juvenile.

Here is an adult male downy woodpecker showing the usual location of the red colour to the back of its head. It's also demonstrating the usefulness of a sticky tongue when it comes to extracting grubs. 

Not quite as cute as a juvenile downy woodpecker, this young catbird was helping itself to elderberries.

While also demanding attention from its parents.

Here is the parent showing just how fine the juvenile's feathers will look when its down is fully replaced.

The house wrens pictured in this post: https://wildlakeside.blogspot.com/2020/06/a-bit-of-mouthful.html, unfortunately, lost their first brood. 

They rebuilt their nest though, and their persistence paid off. 

Here is one of their young playing peekaboo with me and showing off some of its weird and wonderful tufts of down.


I have to finish off with a distant photo of what appears to be a female/immature blackburnian warbler. 


It is time for the return migration of the warblers.


An update:

I haven't added any new posts to this blog for a while now, and that is because I am currently unable to visit Lakeside Park. My photography has not stopped though, but I've had to keep closer to home and thankfully I live really close to the Wetlands.

A change of pace for me and a different perspective from which to view and capture the wildlife presented to me. I felt that such a break from the norm at Lakeside Park required a new blog to distinguish the photographs taken in a different setting/habitat. 

If you are curious to see what the Wetlands look like and the wildlife therein, please follow this link to my first post on that blog: Scott's Wild Encounters

Copyright © wildlakeside.blogspot.com 2020 Scott Atkinson All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thrushes and Blue-Winged Teal

A Welcome Return

A Kingfisher's Blind Spot