Hide and Seek

Do birds play? Young animals do, so why not birds? This family of young wrens appeared to be having a great time playing this morning:


Darting in and out of cover, chasing each other. Perhaps honing their survival skills:


The split in a dead tree trunk, which looked as if it had been folded in half, made the perfect hiding place:


I am no expert when it comes to Canadian birds. You can probably tell from my accent that I am from the UK, and I am still learning all about the birds in Ontario. So, if anyone can help identify this bird then please let me know:


A juvenile, but I am not sure if it is a flycatcher or an oriole? It was seen feeding on the same mulberry bushes as in my post yesterday.
I also found a few bushes at the side of the trail on my way home with some fruit within arms reach. I picked what I could and left what I couldn't reach for the birds. I love mulberries too:


My post titled "Catbird Sings" showed a photo of a coopers hawk which I was more than happy to take. Well, this morning on the same part of the trail and just after where I had picked my mulberries, I was again stopped in my tracks. Not by the alarm calls of the neighborhood birds, but by the distinctive call of birds of prey. Echoing back and forth from seemingly random locations in the trees tops, the birds were communicating with each other and their parents. I finally caught sight of one and was very happy to capture a few photos of a young coopers hawk:


I'm going to finish with another photo of a catbird, this time on the actual sunlit tree trunk:



Copyright © wildlakeside.blogpot.com 2019 Scott Atkinson All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. The photos are beautiful, as are your drawings. Why not post some of them here?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thrushes and Blue-Winged Teal

A Coyote, an Osprey and a Goldfish

A Welcome Return