White-Tailed Deer

This morning started well enough at Lakeside Park. An encounter with an endearing chipmunk who, as the weather had taken a turn for the cooler, was catching the first rays of sunlight on the chipmunks favoured log pile.



My morning then took a turn for the worse, and suffice it to say that I felt the need to keep one eye on my car. I did not want to backtrack, so I decided to take the long trek along the rough path on the far side of Shoemaker Lake. From that side of the lake, I could easily keep watch over the parking area.

I took the shortest route that I could, cutting across the boggy wetland now hidden by the ever taller reeds and grasses at the top edge of the lake. A route I had taken many times in the past. My mind was not focused on photography as I hurriedly stepped out from the cover of bushes and reeds, and then became instantly aware that I was being watched.

I was surely heard long before I was seen as I was not being that mindful of my approach. Two eyes caught my attention as they pierced through the tall grasses.

The intention of quickly circling around to watch over my car was instantly abandoned as I then began questioning how slowly I should raise my camera to my eye.

I fired off a few shots and these were my first two photos as my lens automatically switched focus from the tall grasses in the foreground to a beautiful female white-tailed deer partially hidden in the background.



As usual, there was a blade of grass or two obstructing my view. I decided to attempt to move sideways, which is never a great idea as sideways movement is so easily detected. So I gently swayed in the wind, pretending to be one with my surroundings and gradually edged my feet to the side little by little for a clearer shot. She watched me intently while also being aware of whatever was happening on the far side of the lake. Her ears being able to capture sound from two directions at the same time.




How long she would stay, I did not know, but then something unexpected happened.





As I had almost edged clear of the grasses and saplings between us, the deer stamped her foot and snorted. She seemed almost annoyed, frustrated with me. I felt as if she was telling me to stand out and reveal who I was.

As in the instance with the adult raccoon, perhaps my mesh covering, my protection against the mosquitoes was again proving confusing.
I stayed as still as possible. Only my finger moved slightly as it pressed the shutter. The white-tailed deer then started walking out towards me, and I have to say that I was quite surprised by her size!



She breathed in sharply, attempting to identify me, but she did not have the benefit of being downwind. The wind was blowing moderately from our side and surely swirling around a little in that horseshoe-shaped area at the top of Shoemaker Lake.

As the white-tailed deer came closer, I could see the blue sky, myself and Lakeside Park reflected in her eyes.

She walked diagonally from my left, gradually approaching, moving closer and closer, until my lens could zoom out no further.



With every step, she was moving a little nearer to being downwind from me, and as soon as she caught my scent, her nostrils flared. She violently snorted the air back out, as if to rid herself of my human taste. How dare I attempt to fool her!






She stomped again, this time with an assertion, to raise the alarm, and then she turned and leapt away through the tall grass, her tail held high to alert everyone to my true nature.








I was actually frozen for a few seconds as I watched her depart. One blurred photo of her ears and white tail as she leapt away through the tall grass was all that I was able to capture when I finally came to my senses.


I made my way back along the path side of Shoemaker Lake. The initial reason for watching over my car was now long gone. The chipmunk, however, had hardly moved a muscle.



Copyright © wildlakeside.blogspot.com 2020 Scott Atkinson All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thrushes and Blue-Winged Teal

A Coyote, an Osprey and a Goldfish

A Welcome Return