Cooper's under Construction

A beautifully sunny morning started with a meet-up with my photographer friend from yesterday. I remember leaving him with another photographer, both on the trail of the pileated woodpeckers. He had no photos of the pileated woodpeckers, but he did show me a photo of a sharp-shinned hawk that he took yesterday at Lakeside Park. No sooner had he showed me the photo than a Cooper's hawk flew in, landing high up in the trees.

We both scrambled for the best position, but the hawk did not have enough patience to wait for us to get our feet set. It took off to the far side of the lake. My friend wished me good luck and we parted company. I set off on my usual route, wondering what the day would bring. I didn't hold much hope of seeing the hawk again and decided to just enjoy the fresh air and the walk. That walk was soon interrupted though by some familiar bird of prey calls.



Looking up into the sunlight amongst the silhouettes of branches, I saw a pair of Cooper's hawks perched in a tree.


This was not the best of conditions for photography with the light shining at me, but thankfully this camera performed remarkably well and I was still able to pull out some detail when I processed the images.


And what was the reason for this pair of Cooper's hawks to allow me the privilege of an audience?






They were nest-building! Not just one nest, they were busy constructing two nests in close proximity.
Following on with the theme of the Cooper's hawks, this post must now proceed to the next day and the gloriously sunny morning of March 26th. A change of pace for me. I decided to take a position behind the reeds at the bottom edge of the lake, my rubber boots ankle-deep in water. I was well hidden and had my camera set up for some fast shots of the geese and ducks in flight. I was prepared but in the end, got more than I had hoped for.

Out from the trees on the far side of the lake came two birds of prey.


The larger of the two, a red-tailed hawk, was being pursued by a Cooper's hawk.


The red-tailed hawk got a little too close to the Cooper's hawks nesting area and was unceremoniously being driven out of the Cooper's hawks territory.


The red-tailed hawk is larger, stronger, but no match for the maneuverability of a true woodland predator.





The Cooper's hawk relentlessly pursued the red-tailed hawk.
Diving again and again at the back of the red-tailed hawk.


Until the red-tailed hawk was eventually driven far enough out of the Cooper's hawks territory.


One final photo from the day that I stumbled upon the pair of Cooper's hawks nesting. I had mentioned previously on March 12th (https://wildlakeside.blogspot.com/2020/03/reflecting-light.html) that I had heard and saw a kingfisher at Lakeside Park. Well, I finally managed a photo, a blurred photo, but actual proof that the kingfishers are back.
Copyright © wildlakeside.blogspot.com 2020 Scott Atkinson All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thrushes and Blue-Winged Teal

A Coyote, an Osprey and a Goldfish

A Welcome Return