Snowbirds and a Christmas Coyote

The oppressive grey-clad sky which seemed to have been with us forever finally gave way to warmer weather today and some much needed blue sky. I heard snowbirds (dark-eyed juncos) in the pollinator meadow and I was in pursuit of a photo. The same snowbirds which frequent my feeder at home, but these were nowhere near as tame. They were hiding behind branches and keeping a safe distance from anything moving. I concentrated on trying to get a clear shot through the criss-cross of twigs and managed to snag a few photos before the juncos moved on.


Disappointed that I hadn't been able to get a clearer shot, I released my attention from the bushes, turned around and noticed what looked like someone's dog standing in the snow-covered meadow.





I half expected to see the dog's owner walking a few feet away holding the dog's leash, but there was no one. This was a wild dog and a beautiful one at that. A coyote that appeared to have been hunting for small prey through the thin cover of snow.




I'm not sure how the coyote didn't notice me before I turned around as I'm sure I was clearly visible even though I wasn't moving a great deal, my shape silhouetted against a white backdrop.





                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  The coyote did now move away though and I tried to get to a clear vantage point. The coyote paused for a second, deciding on its best course of action.








Judging if I was a threat to it or not.


The lake and stream which would normally have been an obstacle were now a frozen walkway.

The coyote paced back and forth on the ice.


Walking between myself and the family at the seated area who I could hear talking amongst themselves.


Realizing there was no easy route past, the coyote slipped away through the trees on the far bank. I waited hopefully, and I did see movement between the trees, but the coyote did not return. I thought it best to move along and give the coyote the opportunity to pass by.










I worked my way up the side of the lake, stopping to take a photo of a red squirrel high up in a tree with a walnut. They are easy to spot if you listen for the tell-tale munching sound as they break through the walnut's shell.




Chickadees moved through the trees in waves and goldfinches fed on the terribly sticky seeds of burdock plants.

 

So sticky are the seeds that this goldfinch was actually prevented from flying for a moment by the hooked burrs caught on its foot.

 







I spent some time at the top edge of the lake and took a few photos of nuthatches as they worked over the gnarled bark of the oak tree. The sunshine was gorgeous in that sheltered area of Lakeside Park and I soaked up as much as possible.











There were lots of juncos, cardinals and sparrows, but nothing I haven't really posted before, so I will leave you with one final photo of the coyote and wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.














Copyright © wildlakeside.blogspot.com 2019 Scott Atkinson All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thrushes and Blue-Winged Teal

A Coyote, an Osprey and a Goldfish

A Welcome Return