Horned Owl

Chores at home have kept me away from my photography, but today I was determined to get some fresh air and take my cameras with me. I set off on foot in the direction of the Borden Wetlands which are but a stone's throw away from my house, although the walk is much further as I have to walk around the seemingly endless wall which borders the Fischer Hallman road:


The wetlands are not really user-friendly and I honestly did not hold much hope of seeing anything other than this little chickadee, which I photographed as it performed acrobatics in its attempts at getting to the seeds in the photos:


The wetlands are just that, very wet in the open areas and elsewhere are shrouded by a high canopy of leaves held up on the branches of some really tall trees. It does not have the same friendly feel as Lakeside Park. Every step you take comes with the snap of a broken twig or rustle of dead leaves. The ducks and geese there are very wary of any noise or movement, and rightly so. With no forewarning, a large hawk flew past to my left and landed some distance ahead of me. I approached as near as I thought I could without spooking the bird and took a solid stance to be sure of no camera shake at that distance. I focused in on something with ears. This was no hawk, it was a horned owl, another first for me:


I attempted to get closer for a more detailed shot and kept behind the tree trunks as I stepped closer. I looked out but somehow could not see the owl. Had it flown away or was I just unable to locate the horned owl? I pulled up my camera and used it as a telescope. I scanned the branches ahead and saw the blurred wings of the owl as it flew towards me. Its camouflage had me fooled. I was disappointed with myself and started the walk home. Crunching my way on a carpet of fall leaves which suddenly came to life as this garter snake quickly got out of my way:


Copyright © wildlakeside.blogpot.com 2019 Scott Atkinson All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thrushes and Blue-Winged Teal

A Coyote, an Osprey and a Goldfish

A Welcome Return