Up-Close and Personal

I decided to catch up with the beaver for a short while this morning. The beaver was very active, but unseen for the most part. A trail of bubbles and the larger, rounder ripples which it produces gave away its whereabouts. The beaver did surface for this photo as it selected a large sapling before submerging, taking the sapling with it:


There was a lot of activity in the trees beside the pollinator meadow:


Chickadees worked through the fir trees looking for insects and seeds:


A young cardinal asked to be fed by its parents while sitting in the shade:


The starlings again found the tops of the fir trees to sing, and that was just close enough for a photograph:


I decided to make my way up the path before I had to leave. The kingfishers are still very active over the lake but are just as difficult to take a photo of:


As I neared the top of the lake, the great egret flew overhead. It was hotly pursued by the great blue heron who seemed determined to harass the egret from one area to the next. The egret eventually found some peace in the bottom corner of the lake:


The egret worked the edge of the reeds:


Snapping up a fish here and there. The fish are swallowed whole:


I followed the egret around to the seated area and felt sure it would fly off as it came closer, but the great egret kept on feeding, walking within a few feet of me, so close that I had to switch to my 55mm macro camera for this photo as it fluffed out its feathers:


And this is what the egret looked like through my telephoto lens:


I am a little biased, but I think the great egret is stunningly beautiful.

Copyright © wildlakeside.blogpot.com 2019 Scott Atkinson All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thrushes and Blue-Winged Teal

A Coyote, an Osprey and a Goldfish

A Welcome Return