Splish Splash

I ventured to the top side of the lake this morning. The long grass which prevented any access earlier in the year has now dried and been laid flat in places by the wind. There's something very peaceful about this area. There are a few dead trees which act as islands for the birds passing through, like these two nuthatches:


The nuthatches were hunting over the bark of the dead branches for insects:


As with the dead branches providing an oasis in a sea of grass, these few isolated flowers similarly attracted bees and wasps in the area:


I was running out of time this morning as I'd had an errand to run first before coming to the lake, so I made my way back along the side of the lake. A red squirrel played peekaboo with me from an outstretched branch, and then I noticed an unusual small bird in the canopy of leaves overhead. It appeared to be feeding on the grapevines. This photo is a little out of focus and backlit, but it is a new bird for me, a grey-cheeked thrush:


As I turned left off the path and into the parking area I heard a huge amount of splashing in the water and so went to investigate. The Canada geese appeared to have lost their minds. They were performing crazy acrobatics in and under the water:


They were, of course, just giving their feathers a good clean. It was very amusing to watch though:


Copyright © wildlakeside.blogpot.com 2019 Scott Atkinson All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thrushes and Blue-Winged Teal

A Coyote, an Osprey and a Goldfish

A Welcome Return