Groundhog Day

This morning started with a beautiful golden sunrise that lit up the tops of the trees and slowly descended to the lake. It unfortunately did not last and was soon eclipsed by a grey sky. Undaunted by the poor light, I set out with an agenda; to photograph some of the migrating warblers that are still passing through Lakeside Park. I set off, up the side of the lake, following some yellow coloured warblers which were flitting through the undergrowth. I took any opportunity I could to photograph what I saw on the way:


There were lots of hickory tussock moth caterpillars, fattening up on the remaining leaves:


A catbird sat out in the open for a few moments as I passed through a clearing:


And at the top edge of the lake, I again saw the merlin on its usual vantage point, watching for any unwary birds:


It was a failed effort on my part. As soon as I saw a warbler and raised my lens, it was gone. I decided to make my way back to the parking area and the fir trees beside the pollinator meadow, perhaps I'd have more luck there.

There was so much activity in the trees. I saw chickadees:


This starling again was singing to its heart's content:


There were finches, wrens, cardinals, a blue jay and of course the warblers which again successfully eluded my camera. In fact, now that I think of it, all of the subjects of my photos have at some point been taken before at Lakeside Park on other days this year. All apart from this bird which is partly hidden by the needles of a fir tree:


It is a first for me at Lakeside Park; a white-throated sparrow. There isn't really a whole lot to see in that photo, so here is one taken in my garden this spring in much better light:


Copyright © wildlakeside.blogpot.com 2019 Scott Atkinson All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thrushes and Blue-Winged Teal

A Coyote, an Osprey and a Goldfish

A Welcome Return