My Flower

A cool morning at Lakeside Park had me waiting for the sun to rise up over the trees. I was watching six arctic terns in the dim light as they searched the lake for their breakfast. Much too dark for any photos, but today I thought I'd try recording them complaining to each other which they often do. Right on cue, a red-tailed hawk flew out from the trees as I started recording and that was reason enough for the arctic terns to complain:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hCrP0qJ1j98zMWY4MeSlo3-1N9uJf-5j

I was waiting and the insects also were waiting for the sun to provide enough heat to get them moving. These pink flowers of which there are many at the moment caught the first rays of the sun and were in great demand by the bumblebees:


Concentrating on the flowers and bumblebees with my macro lens, I was completely oblivious to my surroundings until a huge shadow passed over. I spun around, looking into the sun, scanning the branches, and there on the lake's edge was the red-tailed hawk looking over me:


I had to switch cameras, surely my movement would spook the hawk, but no, it stayed until it was ready to move on:


I had to leave by 8 AM this morning and was starting to head home on the path alongside the lake when I noticed the great blue heron standing out in the full sun. I snapped a few photos, but nothing spectacular, and then I noticed two flycatchers in the bushes:


Perched over the water they would fly out and catch an insect before landing on whatever perch was available. This flycatcher kept landing on a dead tree stump partly submerged in the lake. The perfect vantage point for the flycatcher and for me:


Copyright © wildlakeside.blogpot.com 2019 Scott Atkinson All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thrushes and Blue-Winged Teal

A Coyote, an Osprey and a Goldfish

A Welcome Return