Pecking Order

Lots of concern among the birds as I arrived at Lakeside Park this morning. I came from my home as I'd had to be back early. Arriving off the trail crossing Greenbrook Drive, I skirted around the path at the bottom of the lake. I heard crows cawing and just caught sight of one of the crows being chased by a large hawk over Stirling Avenue. I followed but completely lost the birds while crossing the busy road. I made my way back to the lake and was just about to go to the seated area when I again heard the crows. The crows were loudly complaining about something high up in the gnarled old willow tree, which is at the lower end of the park beside the junction of Greenbrook and Stirling. A catbird which was really close to me was also making alarm calls with its attention fixed on the willow tree. I heard the calls of a bird of prey and finally spotted it. A young cooper's hawk was attracting all of the attention, but it also seemed to be complaining about something else in the tree:


Toward the center of the tree and partly masked by the shade from the branches was another hawk. One of the red-tailed hawks was sitting there, waiting for its next meal:


There seems to be a definite pecking order when it comes to complaining, with the most dangerous coming last. The red-tailed hawk moved off to the other side of the lake, closely pursued by the cooper's hawk. I made my way to the wildflower meadow where the insects were just starting to dry off from the soaking they took last night. Suspended between leaves, a large yellow garden spider drew my attention:


Copyright © wildlakeside.blogpot.com 2019 Scott Atkinson All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thrushes and Blue-Winged Teal

A Coyote, an Osprey and a Goldfish

A Welcome Return