A Hospitable Heron

I believe I have mentioned this before, that the great blue heron is remarkably hospitable as long as you obey the rule of moving really slowly. In fact, observe the heron and then move at the same pace. That was how my morning started at Lakeside Park. I was snapping photos of the great blue heron in nowhere near enough light to capture anything upload worthy. The heron was snacking on little fish, not minding the mallards at all who were feeding at the edge of the reeds, or the guy with the camera moving ridiculously slowly on the bank. One tiny fish after another, as little by little the light gradually improved and the grain in my photos decreased:


The heron would catch sight of a fish and then adjust its position before snapping the fish up. It turned and walked to the edge of the reeds and obviously had its eye on something amongst the silt the mallards had kicked up. A split second later, it had caught its prize, a catfish:


Normally at this point, the great blue heron would fly off to the other bank to eat its food in peace, but not today:


The heron walked from left to right and back again, parading its trophy in front of me:


The heron's behaviour reminded me of my dog when it had its favourite toy, bringing it to me to play, but not actually wanting me to touch its special toy:


It felt as if the great blue heron was teasing me with its catch. One last look back at me as the heron walked off to enjoy its meal:


One more photo and it is just a plain old cobweb. Like my obsession with taking photos of the moon and also water droplets, I have no idea why, but they do fascinate me:


Copyright © wildlakeside.blogpot.com 2019 Scott Atkinson All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thrushes and Blue-Winged Teal

A Coyote, an Osprey and a Goldfish

A Welcome Return