A Curious Red Squirrel

I was late leaving work this morning and also had to be home in a hurry, so I was a little more rushed than normal. Plenty of activity though at Lakeside Park. Lots of young red-winged blackbirds squawking for their parents to feed them. The kingbirds are still guarding the surrounding area of the tree they are nesting in. A large hawk flew over the trees from the far bank, carrying prey in its talons. That caused a huge stir among the neighborhood birds.
I had hoped to see the night herons again, but there was no sign of them, or they were tucked away, well out of sight in the willow trees.

I hurriedly visited my usual vantage points, missing way more shots than I took, and then a beautiful little goldfinch came to rest in front of me and started to sing:


My time was almost up and so I quickly switched location. A little red squirrel was really curious to see what I was doing. Peering from around the side of a tree, it came so close that its tail was completely cropped out of the photo:


And then, just when my time had run out, I spotted the young night heron:


It is possible that I am wrong, and that it is in fact a young green heron, as there is some chestnut coloration in the photo around its neck, but based on the width of the beak, I'm going to stick with a juvenile night heron until someone tells me different:


Copyright © wildlakeside.blogpot.com 2019 Scott Atkinson All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thrushes and Blue-Winged Teal

A Coyote, an Osprey and a Goldfish

A Welcome Return