Kingfisher's at last

Very rarely am I ever gifted the chance of taking any half-decent photos of the belted kingfishers. That all changed this morning:


Busy watching the great blue heron, I was hiding in the undergrowth, feeding the resident mosquitoes and snapping a photo here and there:


I could quite clearly hear the kingfishers and was thinking to myself; "That's awesome guys, you always let me know you're there and that you know where I am, but you don't ever let me take any photos". Well, this little guy must have read my mind and promptly came to rest just above me:


Then moved over to the other bank and quite happily posed for me:


As it was so overcast this morning, I took a ridiculous amount of photos. I at least wanted to be sure by chance alone that I had one or two decent shots out of what I took:


Going through the photos took hours this morning. I may never want to see another kingfisher photo again:


Just kidding... they are stunningly beautiful birds and I don't think I'll ever grow tired of watching them. The juvenile was practicing hunting with a few failed attempts and each time moved to a new branch. At one point, it landed so close that all I could take was what I could see through the gaps between the canopy of leaves:


Its parent who looked like it was having a bit of a rough day, kept calling to it and occasionally dropped by to see how it was doing:


Following on from the post titled "Frogs and Flowers", I just had to post this photo of a fowler's toad which I stumbled across in the long grass of the wildflower meadow:


Copyright © wildlakeside.blogpot.com 2019 Scott Atkinson All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thrushes and Blue-Winged Teal

A Coyote, an Osprey and a Goldfish

A Welcome Return